Last week we went over and met our new neighbors, who are from Sudan. They are so nice, and cute, I'm really starting to love them. Their kids are so well behaved, and obedient (there are 4 kids, a girl who is 10 and three boys, ages 8, 4, & 2). Today we had them over to play in our little pool, so I took a picture. It's so cute to see my little blonde boys playing with these dark skinned people. They love Alex, and think his hair is so cool, they love to touch it. They are as black as we are white, I hope it helps Izac to be more accepting and tolerant of people who are different from us. He was a little leary about them at first, just because they look so different, but I just told him their skin is a different color, and he can't believe they are from Africa. According to him, only scary animals live there. They told him some wild animal stories, and I think he's starting to finally get it . The mom doesn't speak english very well, but the kids always translate for her. She comes and sits outside with me while the kids play, and we talk the best we can. The other day I got out my beads and she, her daughter and I made earrings. It's been so fun and educational to get to know them.
I went to a provident living workshop tonight, to learn about wheat and oats. We sampled some food make with fresh ground whole wheat, and oats, saw some wheat grinders in action, talked about wheat, and made a batch of dough. I got to bring some of the dough home to bake and I wish you could smell it. I actually feel kindof guilty, having not done any of the work. I think I might actually think about making bread now, it would sure beat buying a loaf a week at Great Harvest for $5. It doesn't seem as hard as I always thought it was.
This pic is of the cute little plate Izac made for Justin for Father's Day. It was sitting by the bread so I decided to show it off.
NRG Phoenix - Convention
4 weeks ago
3 comments:
What good neighbors you are. So important for kids to learn while they are young that it is okay to be friends with those differant than them. And kudos on the bread! Let me know how it goes when you make it on your own. You'll have to teach me.
Kerrah! You have the best blog!! I love it. Your pictures are fab and so is you hair cut! Love ya, Becky
looks like good times for the van dorn family. we look forward to seeing y'all in august!
Post a Comment